E-Permitting and Emergency Resources

Given the ongoing COVID-19 Public Health crisis, the City of Fitchburg has set-up this page as a temporary clearinghouse for e-permitting and resources for businesses across the city. Below are links to a number of applicable permitting documents, Board and Commission information, and emergency resources for Fitchburg’s business community.

Emergency Resources

  • Emergency Small Business Grant:  The City released its last round of COVID related emergency assistance from the remaining CDBG- Cares ACT funds in early June 2022, the application is now closed.  
  • If you are a business looking for resources, please contact :


Completed paper applications/permits with necessary payment can be mailed to City Hall with Attention to the appropriate department or submitted via the dropbox outside of City Hall (166 Boulder Drive).  Users are strongly advised to utilize OpenGov, which is available for many of the permits below.

  • Form of Intent: Your first step in starting a business is to complete a Form of Intent with the Building Department. This will allow the Building Commissioner, our Zoning Enforcement Officer, to determine next steps for your business or development in the permitting process. For more information, contact Mark Barbadoro (978) 829-1881.

  • Planning Board: If you need Planning Board approval please review our reference materials and checklist and select the appropriate application form. Completed applications can be mailed to or dropped off at City Hall with the appropriate fee (checks payable to City of Fitchburg) and supporting documents. Please contact Principal Planner Mike O’Hara (978) 829-1891 with inquiries.

  • Conservation Commission: If you are requesting a Determination from the Conservation Commission, please review the Rules & Regulations and find the appropriate application under Online Resources on the right side of the page. Additional information can be found on the MassDEP page for Water Resources Permitting & Reporting. For inquiries or additional assistance, please contact Conservation Agent Mike O’Hara (978) 829-1891.

Board of Health

Food Permits, Business Permits & Licenses and Landfill permits are available online on OpenGov. For more information contact the Health Department at 978-829-1870.

Building & Zoning department

Building Permits are available on OpenGov.   They can also be accessed online here. For more information, contact Building Commissioner Mark Barbadoro at (978) 829-1881.

Board of Zoning Appeals: If you would like to submit an application to the Board of Zoning Appeals, please contact the Building Department directly. For more information on the ZBA, click here.  For additional assistance please contact Mercedes Mata (978) 829-1882.

Fire Department

Permits will soon be available online on OpenGov.