Community Development Block Grant Program [cdbg]
The Federal Community Development Block Grant (CDBG) program provides the basic funding necessary to administer the many housing, public works, economic development and public service activities which help to further the city’s overall community development objectives.
Some of the accomplishments managed through the Community Development Office include:
- Construction of new energy-efficient single family housing and rehabilitation of affordable housing throughout the city’s older neighborhoods
- Curb re-setting
- Demolition of hundreds of unsafe and abandoned buildings throughout the city
- Improvements to public facilities such as parks and playgrounds and various city buildings including the Senior Center, Library and City Hall
- Provision of essential public services ranging from after school programs for youth to assistance to senior citizens to police walking patrols and drug enforcement activities
- Safety and beautification improvements including street trees
- Street and sidewalk improvements along many of the city’s entryways
Current CDBG funded programs which are carried out by other entities:
- Boys and Girls Club
- CDC Small Business Assistance
- Code Enforcement
- MIHN Family Shelter
- Police Drug Enforcement/Family Unit
- United Neighbors of Fitchburg
- YMCA Youth Program
The City of Fitchburg Community Development Department will hold a Community Needs Forum on Wednesday, December 12th at 6:00 pm at the Fitchburg Senior Center Fireplace Room located at 14 Wallace Avenue.
The purpose of this meeting is to determine the best use of anticipated fiscal year 2018-2019 federal Community Development Block Grant (CDBG) funds. All Fitchburg residents are encouraged to attend this meeting to discuss and prioritize community needs including; streets, parks, and community building improvements, public services, economic development, blight reduction activities, and housing activities.
This current CDBG year (July 1, 2018 – June 30, 2019), the City of Fitchburg received $980,427. Fitchburg’s Entitlement amount for 2019-2020 is unknown at this time due to uncertainty regarding federal appropriations. More information will be provided as soon as it is available. In addition to the Entitlement amount, the City also anticipates that additional monies will be available in program income and reprogrammed funds.
Last year’s process resulted in the appropriation of CDBG funds for the following activities: Sidewalk Accessibility Improvements, Parks & Playgrounds Improvements, Crocker Field Grandstand Roof Restoration Phase IV, Streetscape Improvements, Fitchburg Historical Society, Street Homeless Intervention Program, UNF Building Leadership & Inspiring Self-Sufficiency, YMCA Spartacus Program, FPD Drug Enforcement & Patrol Program, Boys & Girls Club Afterschool Transportation, MIHN Family Shelter, Small Business Technical Assistance, CDBG Business Loan Pool, Board of Health Code Enforcement, Fitchburg State University IdeaLab Co-working Space,Demolition, and CDBG Administration.
The input of the community will help in determining what activities should be funded. Applications for year 45 are currently available on the link above.For more information or to request an application, please contact Liz Murphy, Director of Housing and Development at (978) 829-1897.
Light refreshments will be served.
Spanish translation will be available.