- Wastewater Division
- Abatement Request
What is an “abatement”?
In the context of sewer use billing, an abatement is a lessening or reduction in the billable amount for the sewer use billing period, for specific policy approved causes, where sewer billing cannot be fairly derived from the customer’s water meter reading.
Abatement Information and Forms
SEWER BILLING ABATEMENTS MAY BE GRANTED FOR THE FOLLOWING:
LINE BREAKS OR SIMILAR CAUSE:
- Breaks in water lines (as may be caused by frozen pipes, for example).
- Written request for an abatement must be provided by the customer, and must be accompanied by a written detailed description of the incident/occurrence, and any supporting information and documentation (such as a plumber’s repair bill), and a statement as to where the water went (to a drain, to a dirt floor, to an exterior discharged surface disposal); WATER ALLOWED TO ENTER THE CUSTOMER’S SEWER SERVICE WILL NOT BE ELIGIBLE FOR BILLING ABATEMENT.
- An inspection, by DPW Wastewater Division personnel, of the property may be required for approval of the abatement request.
Form (Click Here)
SWIMMING POOL ABATEMENTS:
- Just prior to starting the pool filling, customer shall take a meter reading of water meter. If you have any questions as to how to read the water meter, contact the DPW Water Division Office at (978) 345 – 9616.
- Immediately after completion of the pool fill, customer shall take another meter reading.
- Take the difference between the two readings. This difference will be the volume of water used in the pool filling, in cubic feet. In order to be eligible for an abatement, the pool fill volume must be at least 9.0 hundred cubic feet (9.0 CCF), or 6,700 gallons.
- If the pool fill volume meets the above minimum requirements, contact the DPW Wastewater Division Office at (978) 829 – 1911, and provide us with:
a. Customer’s name, address and telephone number;
b. The recorded water meter readings (before and after the pool filling);
c. The pool dimensions and pool depth;
d. The reason for filling the pool (new installation, liner replacement, etc.);
e. The approximate # of gallons of the pool (if known); and
f. Customer’s billing account number.
NO ABATEMENTS FOR SWIMMING POOL FILLS WILL BE PERMITTED WITHOUT WATER METER READINGS.
NO ABATEMENTS WILL BE ALLOWED FOR SWIMMING POOL FILL VOLUMES OF LESS THAN 6,700 GALLONS (9cf).
Return Forms to: email@example.com or mail to: Wastewater Division, 301 Broad St., Fitchburg MA 01420. For question call 978-829-1911.